Government Ethics Charter
The Ministerial function represents a very important public responsibility at State level. It is based on confidence, on one hand, between the sovereign people of Côte d’Ivoire and the President of the Republic and, on the other, between the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister, Head of Government and each minister.
By our free adherence to the present Charter “Government Ethics Charter”, we, members of the Government of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, show our engagement to be at the service of the President of the Republic and the people.
Having received the confidence of the President of the Republic, on one hand for the reconciliation of Ivorians and the reconstruction of our country, and on the other hand, for the sustainable socio-economic development and the consolidation of a State of rights, we declare our adherence to the ten (10) cardinal values that follow:
1. Sense of State and love of Country: Each member of Government shall uphold the fundamental values of the Republic: Union, Discipline and Labour. S/He shall, in speech, action, and behaviour, honour the Country and behave in conformity to the principles of our motto. The love of Côte d’Ivoire shall be upheld over regional, ethnic, political and religious particularities.
2. Respect for Dignity and human Life: Each member of Government shall consider life as sacred. Therefore S/He shall abstain from all manner of speech, and action that is susceptible to endanger dignity and human life.
3. Primacy of the General Interest: All decisions, actions, or task shall be geared and implemented in the perspective of the general interest, according to requirements and standards in place and to the quality which justifies the available resources. Conscious of the ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity of the our country, each member of Government must make efforts at her/his personal level as well as as within the department under her/him to only consider the general interest.
4. Solidarity and Cohesion: All decisions and actions of the Government are guided by the principles of collegiality and solidarity. They involve each member in their elaboration and in their implementation. Members of Government are therefore under the obligation of reserve and confidentiality that behoves government work. The right of reserve shall include all debates in State Council, Ministerial Council, and in a general manner, all government meetings, as well as their related correspondences.
5. Good Governance: Each member of Government shall seek to cultivate excellence and promote the practices of good governance in her/his ministerial department and within the structures placed under her/his authority. The strict respect of the laws of the Republic is a national interest necessity on which depends both the moral rise of our country and its sustainable and integral development. In keeping with the right to information of the sovereign people, each member of Government also pledges to account for the actions of her/his department whose results shall be imputed to her/him
6. Responsibility: Each member of Government is the sole responsible of her/his ministerial department and pledges, in her/his being and conscience, to assume the charges and carry out the mission to which s/he has been called for the greater interest of the nation. Members of Government have an obligation to results. They shall assume the success or the failure of their actions and mission according to the principle of responsibility.
7. Integrity and Probity: As a model for fellow citizens, each member of Government pledges to cultivate, at all times and in all places, the moral and ethical values that shall induce higher morals for the Ivorian society: rightness, integrity, probity and incorruptibility.
8. Justice and Equity: In the respect of differences and particularism, members of Government work in a spirit of justice, of equity and of balance among them, in their respective departments and in their relations with users. Equity shall be promoted in public practices.
9. Permanent Dialogue and Availability: Each member of Government shall consecrate her/himself, as a priority, to the exercise of the missions that constitute her/his attributions and shall be wholly available to this effect. S/he shall, by the way, maintain a permanent and objective dialogue, based on republican ideas, notable with other members of Government, the social bodies and other actors in the sector
10. Civility, Courtesy and Moderation: Each member of Government pledges, in words and action, to the respect of the rules of decorum, courtesy and moderation which constitute the fundamental conditions on which group, organisational and societal cohesion is built.
We, members of the Republic of Cote d’Ivoire, pledge to respect this Charter which we have freely given ourselves on this Tuesday August 9, 2011.
And consequently, we sign in the presence of the President of the Republic
The official and original document is found on the site of the Government of Côte d'Ivoire. This English version is graciously offered by NNENNA.ORG