Laurent Gbagbo has just finished his first appearance at the tribunal of the Internation Criminal court. The Presiding judge was Silvia Fernandez Gourmendi. Here are the 10 things he said. Each point gives insight to what is to come, beginning from the 18th of June, 2012.
1. My name is Laurent Gbagbo. That is the official name. Koudou is also my name. But officially, I am called Laurent Gbagbo. I was born on the 31st of May, 1945, in Gagnoa, in the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire.
2. I only speak French.
3. The circumstances of my detention at the Hague are fair.
4.I was arrested on the 11th of April, 2010 as the President of my country
5. It was the French army that arrested me. The bombed my residence for several days. 50 tanks surrounded my residence while helicopters bombed from above.
6. My Minister of Interior, Desiré Tagro, was killed before my eyes.
7. My son and my doctor were severely beaten before me
8.I only eat twice a day
9. All through my detention in Korhogo, I only saw the sun when my lawyers came to see me.
10. I was tricked into the Hague trip. I was told I was to go see a Magistrate. Then I was taken to the airport. I arrived with only the pair of trousers and shirt I had on me.